Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Rego: Recovery Drink

As I get older it seems to take longer to recover from any physical exertion and more worryingly alcohol overindulgence, what was a couple of hours discomfort can now last a day or two. I am usually sceptical of the claims made for 'sports' drinks and used to view them as overpriced flavoured sugar solutions but not anymore. 6 months ago I tried 'Science in Sport' REGO recovery drink on the advice of friends who swore by the stuff, I am now also a convert.

REGO comes as a powder and is mixed with water, I use an SIS measuring bottle (tip; add the powder first then add 3/4 of the actual amount of water, this gives shaking space in the bottle, when fully shaken top up with water). The finished product has the consistency of a thick milkshake, I find the chocolate flavour is the best as it does a good job of masking any sign of a synthetic taste. I mix it before a ride and leave it in the fridge until I return, alternatively chill it and take it in the car in a thermos flask.

Does it work? yes. After a couple of hours riding drink a pint of REGO. The most obvious effects are: 1) later the same day I have significantly less aches and pains; 2) the following day I don't suffer stiff legs or sore muscles.

Saturday 28th April we did a recconaissance ride of the upcoming May Muddy@rse ride and followed this on Sunday 29th April with the Falmer & Kingston Muddy@rse ride. A pint of REGO after each ride and I'm going out again tonight.

Try it, it does work. Get it from Wiggle.co.uk.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like what I need! Where do you buy it from?