Wednesday, August 22, 2007

SDW Recovery

On the 12th August we rode the 106 miles of the South Downs Way in a day as part of a Muddy@rse effort to raise money for a local charitble event. Check the Muddy@rse link for ride reports.

During the week immediately following the SDW ride I noticed that I was eating significantly more than usual and in particular I was loading up with protien. Also I had no interest in fiddling or cleaning the bike for 5 days - not like me! My knees had been virtually trouble free during the ride but the following days they became increasingly stiff and sore, very noticable when descending stairs. The numbness around the @rse area disappeared after the first nights sleep so luckily no problems there.


The knees stiffness began to ease after 3 days so I figured I would be fine leading the Muddy@rse ride around Whiteways on the 19th August, so I cleaned the bike and was all set to go. After the usual milling about we set off from Whiteways carpark straight into the slippery rooty singletrack. Trails where gravity was on my side were not a problem but as soon as it went up I began to feel an ache and tightness in my knees. When I could spin the hills it was okay but as soon as I needed to put any power through the pedals I could feel the knee discomfort growing significantly. I decided that rather than risk any damage as soon as I felt I was forcing the pedals I would walk the hill. Luckily the ride was ralatively flat and I didn't suffer too much.

Back at the carpark I mentioned the knee issues to Lisa who had also done the SDW with me on 12th August. Yep, she had experienced exactly the same troubles at exactly the same points in the ride. A week and a half after the SDW ride I don't feel sore or tired although I do still have an excessive appetite for protien and I really don't fancy riding the bike.

It seems my aging body is telling me that it is not yet recovered and that I need to slow down and take it easy.


Check photos for before & after pics.

No comments: