Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Clothing layers: works for me!

After years of experimenting with bike clothing and usually ending up way to hot I have arrived at a system that works well for me on 90% of my rides.


I use two base layers, a short sleeved one next to the skin and a long sleeved one over the top. I find the choice of long sleeved shirt is not critical as long as it wicks sweat and provides warmth; however it is essential that the one next to the skin is a fine merino wool version. The merino wool is fantastic at wicking sweat and stays warm even when saturated with either sweat or rain, I use the Howies NBL merino wool shirts, in the summer a light weight one a standard one in the winter. For the top layer I use either a second one of merino wool, a Race Face shirt or a Fox shirt. The long sleeves greatly help the comfort levels when wearing a rain of wind proof jacket.


Funny how after spending money on all types of fancy shirts and jackets the simple 'layering' system is the best for me - a lesson learned here try the simple things first and don't get carried away with the latest bit of gear or advertising.

No comments: